Monday, September 26, 2016

Garland Wrapped Tags

Tag on the left is covered in Gesso, the tag on the right is as it printed,  the letters have a layer of Gesso
First finished tag
Five finished tags
The last couple of days I have been working on tags and garlands to wrap around them for my Happy Mail.

For the tag base I printed off some tags from Tati Scrap (scroll way down) or here. But, since my printer was running out of ink, they printed beige at the top (about 1/10th) and purple at the bottom. Not liking to throw things away, especially things I print, I saved them.

Since I printed the tags with my inkjet printer, the ink is not waterproof. I first used a waterbrush and let the ink bleed. Then on the first tag, I used alcohol ink and pens letting the ink bleed. But, on the set of five tags, I used Staedtler Watercolor Crayons in blue and red, blending them with my waterbrush. After the background dried, more or less, I stamped an Inkadinkadoo swirly dragonfly stamp and on top a Heidi Swapp word background stamp using Tsukineko Memento Elderberry and Brilliance Galaxy Gold inks respectively. For the finishing touches on the single tag I outlined the tag with a brown sharpie and then edged the tag with a white Sakura Gelly Roll. I didn't like the brown as well as I thought I would, so I didn't use it on the other tags, but did stick with the white Gelly Roll.

For the garlands, I glued one of the glitter butterflies in the center of red crochet thread. On either side of the butterfly I glued punched flowers and hearts.

Garlands
Once everything was dry... waiting is so hard to do, I wrapped the garlands around the tags and tied a bow. I made some bags out of the tops of page protectors I had cut off for last years summer vacation scrapbook.

For the bags' sides I used the Fuse tool. The trick for me when I use the tool is to make sure it is fully heated before trying to use it to stick the plastic together. I always hurry the waiting for the iron to get hot and then the plastic sticks temporarily. I have learned to check the seal and if it didn't work, wait for the tool to get hotter and then try.

Garland wrapped tag
The last set of tags have two coats of Gesso and are glued back to back. then I used the watercolor crayons to add color. I am thinking about what to do to them next, probably stamp something on them and then add some doodling. I am planning on putting the tags in the Happy Mail with the tags with the garlands.

Have a wonderful day!

Theta



Tags with two layers of Gesso, glued back to back, and with watercolor crayon

No comments:

Post a Comment